Sunday, September 6, 2009

Of Alice Band and Red




I remember the day in 1996


Yes I remember, as she just sat quietly there


She arrived early for my visit of Leo Clubs in Region 1


I knew not who she was, even though her name I was familiar with




She was the secretary of Eko Leo Club


And I the Leo District President


Her timely club reports I always read, without seeing the person behind them


But there she was, that October morning and I did not know




I remember her long hair, packed in Alice band


Oh, that Alice band!


It’s always been my memory of her


And, of course, her love for the red colour




So I remember today my friend of more than 12 years


And wife of more than eight


Even as she goes home


Transformed to meet her maker




Yes, I remember our good and bad times together


Our shared laughter and shared tears


I remember our jokes, our hopes and our fears


Yes, I remember my Jess even though she is no more today




* Tribute to my late wife, Jessie Obo Effanga on her burial September 4, 2009 in Abuja.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

May her soul rest in peace.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.